Should You Exercise During Pregnancy?
However, it is very important to choose the right forms of exercise. Certain exercises, such as rollerblading, bike riding, skiing and skating are not recommended for pregnant women. A woman who is pregnant can have a miscarriage if she falls down; the above mentioned exercises are risky in that one can easily slip and have an accident.
Recommended Forms of Exercise for Pregnant Women
Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise for a pregnant woman. A woman can swim from the time she finds out she is pregnant up right up until the delivery. The only time when a pregnant woman should not swim is if she has lost her mucus plug early.
Yoga is also highly recommended for pregnant women. Certain yoga exercises will help to stretch a woman’s cervix and thus prepare her for the delivery. However, this does not mean that a pregnant woman can or should do all forms of yoga. A pregnant woman should find a book or exercise video with yoga exercises that are suitable for pregnancy. It is also important to be aware that certain forms of yoga are not suitable for all trimesters of pregnancy.
Walking is yet another excellent form of exercise. It is safe and provides a woman with a good workout. It can also be relaxing. A woman should find a safe and pleasant place to walk. It is also very important to choose comfortable walking shoes.
Take a Look at this Video from Dr. Mottola explaining the benefits of exercise during pregnancy
Pregnancy Exercise Do’s and Don’ts
- A woman should never do an exercise that makes her feel dizzy or uncomfortable.
- A woman who has had one or more miscarriages in the past should consult a doctor before exercising. Certain forms of exercise that are generally fine for pregnant women may not be suitable for a woman with an “at risk” pregnancy.
- Women who are not used to exercising should start out slow. It is never a good idea to overdo on a new exercise program but overdoing while pregnant can have serious consequences.
- Never use weights while pregnant.
- A pregnant woman will probably have more energy to exercise in the second trimester than in the first or third. However, it is important to exercise during the entire pregnancy. Simply exercise for a short length of time and then take a break. Even a fifteen to twenty minute walk is better than nothing.
Exercising while pregnant is important. It will help you to stay in shape and give you the energy needed to go through with the delivery. However, it is also very important to choose the right type of exercise. The above mentioned forms of exercise are suitable for most pregnant women; however, a woman should never overdo. Consulting a doctor before starting on an exercise program is also a good idea, especially if you have had one or more miscarriages in the past.
Do you have any pregnancy exercise tips you would like to share with the SaveARanch community? If so use the contact form to tell us about your favorite exercise.